Sunday, April 15, 2012

3189. Jenny


Little Girl Dolls – Jenny

If you compare Jenny’s face to Mary’s, you will see that her smile is a little less wide. Her expression is rendered as slightly more serious, perhaps, but I confess, of all the dolls in the Fisher Price Lapsitters collection, Jenny is my personal favorite. It may be that, because I was a brunette child, my parents most frequently bought me dolls with brown hair, while buying my blonde little sister light haired dolls. Perhaps I felt a sort of kinship with all brunette dolls as a child because of this, and felt that they belonged to me most! The original Jenny Doll, #201, had an absolutely darling blue calico costume with red sash. The blue hair bows are missing from this photo and I hope whomever purchases this Jenny Lapsitter doll at auction buys some blue ribbons to fix her hair. Like Mary, her feet are red. Jenny has a sprinkling of freckles across her nose. Doll collectors note that this signature button nose appears on Jenny, Mary, Audrey and Natalie, whereas Elizabeth and Baby Ann had differently-modeled noses.  

Little Girl Dolls, Lapsitters By Fisher Price

Since its founding in 1930, the Fisher-Price company has created some 5,000 toys and all kinds of dolls, but perhaps none so sweet and dear as the Little Girl Dolls, first released in 1974, which came to be popularly called ‘Lapsitters’ because of their soft, bendable cloth bodies that were just right for sitting in your lap while you read a story, rode in a car or sat at table. These 14″ Little Girl Dolls have vinyl arms, heads and legs, soft rooted hair, and their cloth bodies were printed in patterns or single colors that served as cozy pyjamas at bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment